Top 50 Tips when starting a business, no bull, just as it is!
1. No Customer Benefit, No Sale
2. Audience before product
3. Market before sale
4.Profit before sale
5. Bottom line before top line margin
6. Never take first quote when purchasing
7. Treat every penny spent as your own private monies
8. Would you buy it at that price
9. Volume at low margin might sound good, but do you want to work hard or smart
10. If you use equipment that wears out with use, always factor in replacement cost in your bottom line predictions
11. Time costs money, better on a beach, than work for nothing
12. Adapt; never stand still, today becomes yesterday, tomorrow.
13. It’s nice to be liked but it does not pay the rent
14. Surround yourself with happy people, morgues are for dead people
15. Route one tactics are easier to understand, 1 clear message is better than several
16. Always be prepared to do what you ask others to do, tomorrow you may need to fulfill that role to survive
17. If it does not make you money do not buy it. If you need a works van for carrying lumber and tools, do not buy a £30,000 luxury one, buy yourself a Porsche and enjoy that once you have made your money.
18. If you can work from home rather than an office, do.
19. Listen to advice but make your own decisions
20. You cannot make money if you do not take risks
21. Get more decisions right than wrong
22. You are in business to make money, no favours and no hangers on allowed
23. Be lucky, and make your own luck
24. Smile, people can get scowls at home
25. Anyone can give things away; good businesses get the money the product demands.
26. Journalists have blank copy to fill, make their life easy give them something to write about
27. Journalists like success stories, give them 1 regularly
28. Flat sales structures ensure fewer conflicts, and message does not get diluted
29. Vision must be shared and embraced by all employees
30. Life will not run smooth, always have a fall back position
31. Pay people generously for success
32. Never underfund
33. Set daily targets and more importantly review them
34. Shout about success
35. Meetings for the sake of it are DE motivational and a waste of time
36. Start the day with 30 minutes thinking of tomorrow
37. Clear motivational tasks for all, make happy staff
38. Take people with you do not make them follow you
39. If someone has it already, they have done the hard work, now take it from them
40. Having a bad day? Meet up with someone who has bought from you and likes what they bought, draw a line and move on to the next target
41. You will not win them all
42. Not everyone will like you, get used to it
43. Winners are never lonely
44. Excellent Customer service guarantees word of mouth new business
45. Praise costs nothing but brings riches
46. People love what your product does for them not you or your company
47. Trust no-one but you with your brand
48. Keep hold of the purse strings
49. Do not communicate by e mail, face to face regularly shows you are human and approachable
50. Always have an open door policy
It is not complicated, so make it simple. Going into business in Blackpool, want our help? Ring me on 01253 477147.
Everything we provide is free with no strings attached.
by Geoff Reeves - getstartedblackpool